Thursday, February 19, 2009

Music questions? meme from Scott- tomusicfan

Scott *** Music, as you may or may not know, well really if you have been reading this blog at all you know, I am a huge music fan. I have put together this little survey here. I know that it will take some time for you to answer but I would love to read how you relate to music. So... post it on your blog, share it with friends, get it out there.*** posted this on his blog- great questions.



1) What's a piece of music, any genre, any year, and form, (i.e 45, album, MP3, etc), that you often return to. Something that continually resonates throughout your life, and seems to gain greater impact as you grow older. How often do you find yourself seeking this piece?



I am a huge John Denver fan, and right before he past away he recorded an album of " train songs" called All Aboard, the 1st song is Jenny loved the trains- As I was going through my Divorce - I listened to this album and song very frequently- it soothes my soul in ways I can't describe.



2) Is there a specific story that relates to this?

Vince Gill wrote this piece and John recorded it, there is also a version at the end of the album called Jessie loved the trains ( for his youngest daughter) it is not listed on the album credits. He recorded this and it was produced and released the year he passed away. I grieved my marriage and his loss at times equally. This album won a grammy for best childrens album posthumously.



3) Was there a piece of music, despite the fact that you may have "outgrown" it now that at one time changed your life? How about something you feel you'll never outgrow?

I can't think of anything I have truely " outgrown" - but then I am not sure any music has changed my life.





4) Could a piece of music that you found in common with a stranger bond you for life? Is there a story behind that?

I would say yes- in fact there is a story behind this! Scott sent some of his blogger buddies a mixed " tape" CD and one of the songs on it is " Rain King" by counting crows. I didn't get a list of songs on this mix but - I googled the lyrics and found out what this one was and by whom, then I looked for some other refferences to the lyrics ( because they are interesting) - so I am bonded to him by his album of creations and who ever suggested this song to him to put on the mix we are bonded too. When I play it I can play it on repeat several times in a row!




5) Is there a favorite artist that you had that you gave up on only to have him or her redeem themselves?
I can't think of any at the moment



6) Has music ever got you through some really tough times? How?

Yes, music soothes my soul. I play it to affect mood. So I have quite an extensive play list of feel good tunes.



7) Can music change the world or is that naive wishful thinking?
Wishful thinking maybe- though it can and does make it a better place.



8) Is Rock and Roll dead?
Nope. I like Scott's answer that there will always be someone else coming along in a basment or garage somewhere that we don't even have a clue about today, but will blow us all away with their Music.



9) What's the song you wish played at your wedding? How about your funeral?

Wedding song I like Shania Twain- looks like we made it. ! title of song is : You're Still the One

funeral song - The Eagle and the Hawk



10) What's the greatest live show you ever saw? In what year? Why? How old were you then? Did you attend with friends? Were you a skeptic going in?Did you enter a huge fan? How about the most disappointing show? Why?

Bruce Horsby and the Range at Red Rocks, really all the shows I have seen at Red Rocks . I saw John Denver there and also Jethro Tull - the greatest venue in the entire world. I have been by myself and with others and everyone here would agree the best place to see a performer live. There are no bad seats, there is so much love for anyone you see there and the performers are inspired too.

Bruce Hornsby and the range at Fidller's Green Ampitheater- was the most disapointing, seating was awful and the croud was bad i felt as though I paid too much for cruddy seats and obscured veiws- then it rained!!



11) Has your feelings about recorded or live music changed over the years?

I think I am less likely to go out of my way to see a live performance as I get older, for some of the same reasons- scott uses- just don't want to go anywhere there are too many people or young people doing things I am not interested in. Don't want to fight any crowds. Want to be able to see and hear a performer at their best!

reordings and digital have helped me to listen to more music that ever though!



12) Do you listen to radio? How do you listen to music?
I listen to the radio for about an hour in the morning - everyday. I have a morning show I listen too get a bit of news weather, traffic and music.
I listen to the radio in the car too.
I have a 10 CD changer in my mom van and That is what I listen too alot. I have a MP3 player and A palm that plays music too. So I have lots of ways to get in my music fix.



13) Has the amount of time you listen to music changed over the years? To what extent?

not appreciativly - though I think I listen to a bit less now that ever before, just because my job involves talking by phone almost all day and listening to music makes that part of my job harder and more itracting.



14) In these tough economic stressful times do you gravitate towards a different kind of music, i.e happy, nostalgic, the blues, then you did say, 4 years ago?

No I don't think so:)



15) You're stuck on a desert isle, you've got a mix Cd with 10 songs you're stuck with until your dying day, (or at leas until you're rescued) what are those 10 songs and why?

1. Somewhere over the rainbow/ its a wonderful world Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
2. Anyway Maritna Mcbride
3. Jenny loved the Trains John Denver
4. Little Things Tanya Tucker
5. Rain King- Counting Crows
6. Rocky Mountain High John Denver
7. Adalida- George Strait
8. Little Bitty - Alan Jackson
9. Where the green grass grows Tim McGraw
10.Anything But Mine- Kenny Chesney

all these songs touch my heart and bring back special times and people in my life- this would make a great mixed tape.

No comments: