Sunday, October 15, 2006

tent in center is where I spent two nights

I really enjoyed my time camping with the boys, I brought a cot, but managed to get the worst of the sleeping bags we own! a gap in the zipper ment I could not zip it up all the way where I needed it. So my big brown coat had to make do as an extra blanket. Friday night was VERY cold and Saturday evening we had rain starting at about 9:15 so everyone was in tents and quite long before the 10 pm lights out. Suaturday night I tried putting my coat on the wrongway with my arms in it and hood in front, but I am a stomach sleeper and had to give up this position to roll over.

The best couple of things were the " cuddl duds" long underwear and my new timberland boots I got at DSW about a month ago. The cuddle duds are Polyester and Spandex and the warm and light weight plus slippery enough to roll and slide into the sleeping bag. I highly recomend them and this is my second pair.

The timberland boots I bought are lightweight with a high ankle support and thinsulate but very ventallated and have some special wicking thing in the soles cause my feet were warm and comfy all weekend.

The boys all did well and enjoyed all the varied activitys the theme of the camporee was return to camolot and mid-evil themes abound, there were reggattas in the lake and mountain boarding and joisting and hand combat kinds of fun stuff, along with black powder and archery and rifle shooting ranges. One fellow made homemade rootbeer and that was a hit too.

My only complaint was the " facilities" there were none marked for Women only and little boys do not aim very well. the first morning I thought I might not be able to tollerate it, but then thought of the old trick my dad taught us -- light matches-- not as good a a stick of insence but it made it somewhat bearable - J and I hiked up a mile to reach a portapotty that had not been used and smelled pretty nice and flowery (LOL) that I could use and sit and not be bothered. It was worth the hike and time together !

overall it was a great weekend. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

The Grunt said...

Looks like you had fun. Hey, we were both out in the wilderness this week!

Queue_t said...

I can't wait to read about your adventures! bet you weren't surrounded by little boys and big men full of testosterone!! BSA all the way. Ha ha
QT

Cathy said...

Sounds like a blast QT, especially the big men full of testosterone part. I'd call that the silver lining!

I will forever have an image of you trying to get warm in a faulty sleeping bag. What a hoot!

Queue_t said...

cathy

it was fun , but oh man the sleeping bag thing- well I just need a queen size one with a good zipper that's for sure!

I saw the Milky way- pretty increadable, I don't think in all my life I have seen it for real, not in a picture- what a treasured memory to take home with me!