Monday, June 05, 2006

At lifehacker there is this great tip. - be back later with other things to make you smile.

Beat procrastination with the 10 minute rule

In Procrastination

An article in Psychology Today says procrastination creates stress, anxiety and depression. But how do you stop putting off that dreaded task? Just do it - for at least 10 minutes.

Acknowledge, "I don't feel like doing that," but do it for 10 minutes anyway. That gets you over the hard work of initiation. After being involved in the activity for 10 minutes, then decide whether to continue. Once you're involved, it's easier to stay with a task. Succeeding at a task does not require that you like doing it.

I can personally attest that this works. I keep a timer on my desk and whenever I feel myself dragging my feet on something, I set it and go. It's amazing how much easier tasks turn out to be when you don't build them up to be these huge faceless monsters in your mind. How do you beat procrastination? Let us know in the comments or to tips at lifehacker.com.

No comments: