Monday, November 24, 2008

Mis-understood

From Seth Godin

You will be misunderstood

I typically write posts that are three to six paragraphs long. I try to be clear and direct. And yet, just about everything I write is misunderstood by someone. (Not the same someone, alas). They write to me and I try to explain.

It's hard to imagine how one could write something that 100% of the recipients will understood as written. If you overwrite to satisfy the last 1%, you're going to bore the rest to tears
All of which is a way of warning you about microblogging (Twitter, etc.). If you've got 140 characters to make your point, the odds are you are going to be misunderstood (a lot). There may be nothing wrong with that, but you should be prepared for it to happen. And most of the time, people won't take the time to ask. They'll just assume you're an ignorant jerk and move on.

If it's important, or controversial, I don't think I'd obsess about making it short.

I found this an interesting premise and topic, even with only a few readers you are sometimes mis-understood. And he is correct in his assersion that fewer isn't always better!

No comments: