Sunday, April 17, 2005

more on this subject- diva's

Real people scrapping real events and people in their lives is less and less seen in the Magazines like CK - When do we see a realness? only in our own little albums and books, where the focus is on the photos and the people in our lives we care about and want to keep memories for.


I will never be one of the chosen scrappers, I can't even imagine putting up my original work on a scrap book call, part of me longs to do it but part of me says mine are not the " celebrity Look" that the magizine is going for. I am behind the trends never in the forfront and I love to create orignal layouts with elements of style that are all mine. I scrap lift the idea and make it my own with a unique execution that is me- my kids and family will know I cared about them and wanted to help them remember where they came from and where they me be going. This is the satisfaction I will take away from the hobby I often discribe to others as the one that allows me to do all the other crafts I always loved, paint, art, draw, create, sew and use type and fonts all in one place in mini works of the heart.

Michelle at scrapbility says I quote her here

"This is a similar backlash to that experienced worldwide at the moment. A trend towards realness. Take a look at the real photographs in many scrapbooking magazines - particularly of ones showing a group of scrapbooker’s in a crop or similar. Heck, take a look at the regular feature in CK magazine itself - where they show one of the diva dot’s in a photograph with some local cropping group or a group at CKU or similar. Spot the celebrity - she’ll be the slim blonde one in the middle, surrounded by several slightly more rotund real women wearing hand-designed t-shirts. She’s the one with the hollywood smile - created after numerous photo-shoot sessions.

Most scrapbookers I know (and meet) aren’t slim. Sorry, we just aren’t. The vast majority are tackling cellulite, kids, jelly-bellies, droopy-arm syndromes - and you won’t find a photo of me in a bikini on a scrapbook layout coming your way soon. We are as diverse as any other group of primarily woman in this world, and we possibly feel the same frustrations as any others when faced with unreal looking “models” to inspire us.

Why does Angie get away with it, then? How come I haven’t witnessed any bitchiness anywhere towards her status, or herself? She’s brunette, and I have no idea about her weight - but primarily she’s dishing out real inspiration with real content. She’s telling us to scrapbook “us” - the real us. Geddit? Although Angie Pedersen may be considered a celebrity scrapper (and on the A-List, given the amount of other celebrities who have chosen to link into her blog), she also wins it with the common average garden-variety scrapper like you and me - because she’s helping you and me deal with the fact we are you and me. It’s so real, it couldn’t be any more realer - unless she tells us to scrapbook our laundry.

Yes, they’re not all blonde. Dare we be racial here, but Faye Morrow-Belle would never fit into that slight stereotype. And sorry, Faye - but you’re not that slim, either. But then, Becky used to be brunette, too - right?"

I will never be blonde or swelt and I for one am glad to be real.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you feel the need to be blonde there are always wigs!