Monday, April 10, 2006

A- is for Autism-Ali and kAtie, April is autism awareness month!

A post I made at katie the scrapbook lady tonight in her comments-

Thank you Katie

I too have a wonderful step son who has autism, he is a joy in my life and I have learned a tremendous amount about him and myself over the years, he is now 14 but I have known him for nearly 10 yrs now!

I read and gleen from your blogs and writings. I look for things here everyday to help me explain to others sometimes why my lovely boy will not respond to them directly, why his eyes don't make the regular contact they expect from a boy " his age"; I love your articles and have found tremendous comfort in your words.

Tomorrow I will be again called upon to help another child, who has come into my life and those of my Children as well, who has autism as well, he is different than our son, but he needs his "village " he is in our boy scout troop. He is a sweet boy with a great smile and funny, silly laugh. He will be transitioning to high school - Two of my boys go to the same school- .His mother has setup a future planning meeting. She has invited me, my sons- both experienced with her son and our son, and autism, to participate with school educators, her family and friends of her son, we all hope to help him get the most in his future! a very exciting time for us all.

So again thank you Katie, you have given me words and concepts and understanding to help this boy and his family. As well as helped me communicate about my step son and his uniqueness.



the journaling on this little lay out says " When Someone has Autism, he can not understand what people say or do , so sometimes he acts deaf. many things are confusing to him. Autism is not like a cold you can't catch it from someone else.

No comments: